Welcome to my blog!

This blog is just a simple approach to finding deals, couponing, and maybe even making a few extra dollars... Whether you are saving for a vacation, or trying to make the most of your dollar on a day to day level, this blog will help you find your way!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Always Follow the Money... Even When Buying Fruit Snacks

I Almost had a D'OH Moment of My Own
A Well Meaning Lady At Winn Dixie ALMOST Had Me Convinced to Pay Too Much for the Kids' Fruit Snacks This Week!
In today's hectic world, it is very very easy to fall for a good "deal" that really isn't that great.  This past week, I had to run in to Winn Dixie real quick.  I almost fell for a not so good deal.

I was standing in the fruit snack aisle with my kids. Since they were behaving in the store, for once, I was letting them choose a fruit snack box.  They picked out Phineas and Ferb by Kelloggs. Normally, these are pricey. This week, they were $1.99 for 12.  Not great, but better than normal.
As I was heading to the checkout, this lady glances in my buggy and says "OH! Did you see that the Winn Dixie Brand is only 99c a box? They are cheaper and just as good."  And, I have indeed found that most store brand fruit snacks ARE just as good as name brand. SO, about face I go. I bet I could convince the kids to swap the Phineas and Ferb they were going to share if I let them each pick out a box.. twice as much for the same price, after all...

Then, I decided that was a good stock up price. So I threw about 5 boxes into my buggy before I stopped and actually LOOKED at the boxes. They were about the same size as the Kelloggs boxes. But, sneakily on the bottom, they were printed that they only had 6 packs per box. 
So the sneaky store brand fruit snacks really weren't on a great sale. They were the same cost (less one penny..) than the name brand! Back onto the shelves went the store brand.  My kids rejoiced as their Phineas and Ferb fruit snacks went back in.

They almost had me... ALMOST!   
So when you think you are getting a deal.. store brand or otherwise, follow the money. Always follow the money.  Price it per ounce, pack, whatever.  Don't have a D'Ohment.

*It would have been worth buying two boxes for the same amount and price as the Kelloggs fruit snacks had the kids wanted different shapes..but they both wanted Phineas and Ferb anyway.
**ALSO, a couple days after this experience, I worked a coupon deal at Target to pay around 89c or less a box of 10ct Market Pantry fruit snacks. That was the best deal no matter how you did the math. I bought 4 boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment