Welcome to my blog!

This blog is just a simple approach to finding deals, couponing, and maybe even making a few extra dollars... Whether you are saving for a vacation, or trying to make the most of your dollar on a day to day level, this blog will help you find your way!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Mini Coupon Philosophy Tutorial

Changing the Way You View Coupons
Can Save You Money
You have two manufacturer's coupons for Pampers. One is $1.50 off any diaper or training pants. One is for $1.50 off any diaper.  You need diapers. Both coupons expire on the same date. Also, you know you wont run out of training pants before the expiration date on the coupon and you need diapers now.  So, do you :
A.  Use the $1.50 off diaper coupon
B. Use the $1.50 off diaper or training pants coupon
C.  Use whichever coupon comes to your hand first, because it really doesn't matter. This is a trick question.

The answer is A.

It really does matter.  What if you find a really amazing deal on training pants before the coupon expires? If you could get them for $3 a pack using a coupon, wouldn't you stock up? IF ONLY you hadn't used that coupon on diapers... But you didn't know that deal was coming!  OR, what if you could trade your training pants coupon with someone to get a coupon that makes your Olay bodywash free?  You never know when you might need that other coupon. You never know when the opportunity will present itself to use, trade, etc that other coupon.  It may look like 6 of one, a half dozen of another at first glance, but if you absolutely don't need to use a coupon like that, Don't! It really really does make a difference sometimes.

The example here is for diapers/training pants. BUT, these scenarios present themselves all the time.  Especially when a manufacturer does a rebate offer. You will wish you had specifically used the coupon you specifically needed and not wasted a more flexible coupon.  Stores even do $ back or gift card deals from time to time.  I am especially glad I don't throw out the formula checks I still magically get in the mail. I have made $7 so far this year buying formula I don't need with those checks. But, guess what? I make money AND friends with little babies get free formula from me.  Win Win.  

So, don't waste a flexible coupon. Not unless you really need to use it OR it is about to expire. 

3 comments:

  1. That is really nice of you guys! I just try to actively look at deals and scenarios to save my family the most money possible. A friend turned me onto this way of thinking, and I just want to share as much as I can with people that are interested in it as well! :) I really did save my family $4000 the first year I started all of this. Now, I am trying to do even better! I hope you guys are starting to notice a difference in your budgets, too!

    ReplyDelete