Welcome to my blog!

This blog is just a simple approach to finding deals, couponing, and maybe even making a few extra dollars... Whether you are saving for a vacation, or trying to make the most of your dollar on a day to day level, this blog will help you find your way!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Hungry for Mexican in Jackson, MS? Check out Flowood Fernandos

Today, a Post For My "Rants, Raves, and Reviews" Section
Featuring Fernando's of Flowood, MS

As a small departure from the usual deal, coupon, or tip post, I am writing this review of Fernando's Restaurant. There are no special deals or coupons to report, but I feel these types of posts are appropriate for the blog.. You work hard for your money, and knowing the places that appreciate (or in some cases don't appreciate) your business can help you get the best value or experience for your money.

Thus, I want to tell you about my experience at Fernando's yesterday.  I am travelling and visiting folks this week.  I found myself with some unexpected time to myself.  That NEVER happens.  I decided to do something I have never done before: I went to eat at a sit down restaurant by myself.  I was actually nervous to do so. But, I was wanting some Mexican food.. so I decided to give it a try and picked Fernando's just off Spillway in Flowood.

As soon as I walked in, I was greeted with a smile and led to a small booth by the windows in the corner.  I was immediately brought some of the best chips and salsa I have ever had.  The seasoning on the chips was awesomely yummy and the salsa was fresh.

Within 5-8 minutes of ordering my meal, it was brought out nice and hot and delicious.  Fernando's has an extensive and budget friendly menu. From about $5+, you can find several pages of dishes to try... mostly your standard Mexican fare.  My personal favorite and what I ordered yesterday for $6.50 was the Fernando's Tacos.  I LOVE these!  The lunch portion features a plate full of rice and beans with two Fernando's tacos (Tortillas fried into shell shape so that they are light and crispy filled with shredded beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.)  The beef in the tacos was almost "roast" like and very moist and delicious.  I always wonder if Mexican restaurants will get my order right.. see, I always have to order "No Cheese, No Sour Cream".  Half the time, they will skip the cheese in the taco but add cheese in the beans.. Oops!  BUT NOT FERNANDO's! In addition to the food being promptly served and fresh and yummy, the order was CORRECT!  Hooray!

The staff was very friendly and attentive.  The atmosphere was decently busy but not too loud, crowded, or stressful.  There are two big flat screens.. one on either side of the restaurant, but the volume is low so you can watch or ignore them.

Overall, I was so happy to pay $6.50 for my meal.  I was unrushed and took my time eating.  I left a nice tip for keeping that booth to myself so long. **I always recommend leaving at least a 20% tip if the food is decent and the service is good. 15% is not much to those trying to make an honest living.

I will be back to Fernando's next time I am in the area. I will be bringing the kids. And, as I noticed a small stage area with speakers and such, I will be checking out to see when their next live music event is.  

Thanks so much for an excellent experience at an excellent value, Fernando's!

Go check them out for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment